I feel like a selfish bastard.
Here I am earning the most money I’ve ever earned in my life, and I’ve completely dropped the ball on making donations. My goal after college was to donate to at least one charity of my choosing every year — to have memberships in organizations I supported and want to continue seeing their good works… And well, the only money I’ve sent out is from various checkout lines when they ask if you’d like to donate an extra dollar for a particular cause (mainly I do this at Petsmart)…
In college, when I was earning a whopping $5.15 an hour — barely pulling a $120 paycheck each month — I found the time to donate. Even when working at the thrill park I made a donation to a local children’s hospital in my sisters’ names. But now? Nope. Sorry. All this hard earned cash is reserved for me. I mean, seriously. I bought a DS and then 3 weeks later bought a Wii with Guitar Hero World Tour (not the full band kit, mind you, but still). It’s not uncommon for me to drop $300 a weekend on clothing every other month. And well, I’m embarrassed by the number of shoes I’ve purchased.
So. As you as my witnesses — and PLEASE hold me accountable — I am setting a goal to make donations this year. I’m not specifying how much.. but I plan to contribute at least something (preferably >$10) to the following charities, groups, and/or organizations:
- WWF – I actually plan on doing at least one $50 adoption. Yes, I want the plushie. Not even going to hide that fact. (HINT TO MALES WHO MAY BE INTERESTED IN ME: This, or something similar, would make an amazing gift for me. Just so you know.) The hardest part will be which to choose… Sharks? Pandas? Tigers? Wombat? Blue-Footed Booby?
- Oceana – For those of you who truly know me, or have seen my tattoo, you know that I have an absurd fondness for sharks. Over fishing and finning are huge issues to me, and I seriously almost cried while watching sharkwater.
- CTP – I’ve gotten to know various CTPers throughout my life and would love to support them any way I can. Mennogirl‘s brother, Mennonot, was working for them in London for a while.. and still works for them here.
- WGCS – Yes, this is a radio station. Yes, I previously worked there. I support Jason and the staff a lot, and seriously miss working there. Getting exposed to so much music, while working in such a great environment truly enriched my college experience…. even if Jason did call me the Globe’s Delilah….
- LP Zoo – I love this place. It’s one of my happy places here in the city. With the fact that it’s free admission, I can’t help but want to donate to make sure they stay open and can truly support their programming and animals. So many innercity youth have been able to be exposed to a variety of wildlife and information thanks to this zoo.
There are other places I would consider. The city’s huge and there’s a lot going on… If the reading band gets their nonprofit started this year, I’ll be donating to them as well — I mean, I am one of the organisers/planners/committee members. Also, if others from a social networking group I’m in will join me, I’d be willing to help sponsor some crazy, geeky, (and okay, yes, attractive) british guy to come to the city for that group’s annual meet-up — which I’m not even attending! (I swear, nerdy/geeky/dorky men will be the end of me.)
Anyway. Within the next week or so I’ll put something up so that this is permenately afixed to a sidebar, meaning that I should be nagged at all costs to complete my goal this year. It shouldn’t be hard… but I’ll have to make a change from my materialism (video games, shoes, special cheeses, books, things from ikea, and my near-addiction to buying bras & panties) and focus on using my funds for a greater cause. … And then buy all those things…