I went a little crazy buying groceries last night. I’ve missed cooking and well, as mentioned, I’m trying to make my mircowave and (beloved) toaster oven less the means in which I prepare my meals. Cutting back on french fries, chicken nuggets, and frozen pizzas. I’m also trying to cut back on going out for lunch—I’ve been good lately, but there’s a new* restaurant near by called Protein Bar. All the food items are quinoa based. (They also do smoothies, but the quinoa is amazing.)
So. Instead of being tempted to spend $7 every day on a bowl full of healthy-tasty goodness… I decided I’d make my own at home.
I heard rumors that quinoa—pronounced keen-wah—was tricky to prepare. But after a little research and my own experience, it’s not that hard. Sure, a little bit of mine got brown on the bottom, but it wasn’t enough to actually notice a difference. And because I really liked how it turned out… I’m going to share my recipe with you.
Buffalo Chicken Quinoa
makes about 2 servings, or 1 if you’re really hungry
Ingredients (adjust to your taste):
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 7/8 cup chicken broth/stock or water
- 1 large can of chicken breast (yes, you can use non-canned. I’m lazy/dislike handling chicken)
- cheddar or cheddar-blend shredded cheese
- buffalo sauce
- shredded carrots
- crumbled bleu cheese
- a few thinly sliced cucumbers
- Start the quinoa first. You can do it on the stove, but I prefer my rice cooker. With the rice cooker, treat it like you would white rice with a 1:2 ration of rice:liquid. I read somewhere it turns out better if you use slightly less than 2-parts liquid, hence why I used 7/8 cup of liquid in my own. Turn it on and let it cook. (If you’re using the stove, just be sure to read the instructions on your quinoa package… most say ~15 minutes on the stove top…)
- Once the quinoa is done/almost done… let it keep warm and work on your chicken stuff. Combine the chicken, buffalo sauce and cheddar cheese and heat.
- Serve your quinoa into a bowl, then cover with the chicken mixture. (Obviously if you’re doing two servings take half of each.) The top with your bleu cheese and cucumbers.
It’s that simple. I don’t remember which brand of buffalo sauce I used, but if you’re really curious just ask and I’ll check my fridge. I’m all for tasty, yet half-assed meals. So as I get back to cooking, I’ll try to share more of my successful recipes. And hopefully I’ll remember to take more/better pictures of the process.
*Okay, by “new” I mean it’s been there for months or more… we’re still obsessed with it nonetheless.