Okay, so sometimes that “choose happiness” stuff is just complete crap and you’re just going to have a bad day/week/month/whatever. But I do feel that regardless of being in a bad moment or not, you can still find ways to enjoy what’s going on and just be happy.
Here are the things that I’ve found that have made me stupidly happy…
– Surround yourself with awesome, and positive people. I’m still reveling in my happiness from this weekend. And the things that gave me the biggest warm fuzzies are small things. Good conversations, jokes, and a lot of hugs. I love my friends, and am so grateful for them.
But the other big part of that, the friends that give me those great feelings are ones that generally have a pretty positive outlook. Moods are contagious, and so you want to be around people that leave you feeling great. It’s been something I’ve consciously trying to work on. I’ve had some people really bring me down, and that’s not something I want to do to the people the around me.
– Give less shits about things. The world is not out to get you and not everything sucks all the time. Given the population of Chicago, and just that yes, things go wrong, yes, there are things that annoy me, sometimes on a daily basis. Slow walkers, loud people on transit, smelly people on transit, having two very large people sit next to you on transit–just people in general on transit, you could say–people who take too long to order food, people who don’t really understand physical space or how not to crowd/get in the way of others, groups of people who take up the entire sidewalk or stairs… I mean, people in general just annoy me. But if I spent all my energy on these things, it’d be a wasted life. I take a breath in and out, then choose not to give a shit about it and move on.
– Purposefully acknowledge positive things or things that make you happy. You don’t have to write it down or whatever, but just make some time each day to soak them in. Eventually it’ll become habit and will help you not give a shit about the not so great things. Mine? This morning as I stepped outside, the cool breeze with the sun, wearing flip flops and a light sweater… I just love fall and am so ready for this season.
Small things can add up quickly, so instead of focusing on the negative look for the good.
– Don’t overly concern yourself with others. Okay, seems sort of selfish and bitchy to say that… but really, sometimes you should just keep your nose out of other people’s business. Especially strangers. Does it really matter if that random stranger’s outfit doesn’t suit/fit them? Or if they’re scarfing down McD’s like it’s going out of style? If it’s not actually harming you or others, then let it go.
– Make silly faces. Okay, yeah, I realize this seems weird and dumb. But I promise. I actually sit in my cube at work and will make silly faces at my computer. When I’m at home, the cats make a good audience to all my weirdness. It’s good to just take a break and not be so serious about everything all the time. Make yourself laugh, what’s the worse that could happen?
– Pets. If you’re able to rescue and adopt an animal, I highly suggest it. (And by able, I mean you’ve got the time, energy, money, and your housing situation lets you. It can be a 20 year commitment depending on the animal, so be ready for it. /PSA) My cats bring me a lot of joy. Yes, they also use me as a launch pad, wake me up freakishly early, and destroy the last roll of toilet paper in the house… but they love me unconditionally. I cannot imagine my life without them.
So: Good people. Embrace the positive. Let go of the negative. Don’t be so serious. Cuddles.
What have you found works for you to make you stupidly happy?