So deciding I want to get my MFA was easy. I mean, it was a big decision, but it just felt so right. I want to immerse myself in writing, as well as explore teaching. So an MFA just made sense. And since MFAs only really enroll for the Fall, and well, 2013 Fall semester is starting now… My next opportunity to join is Fall 2014.
I’ve always had the why. I have that what. I have then when. The how is something I’m working on. But it’s the where that has been driving me crazy. I have no idea what program to apply to.
There are a lot of good MFAs out there. There are a good handful of MFAs with full funding too. However, full funding in Chicago… not really a possibility. Because funding is important to me (it’s the how of all of this), I’ve had to come to the realization that staying in Chicago just might not be an option if I really want to get my MFA. Or at least if I want to be able to afford an MFA.
To say that this has been hard to come to terms with would be a terrible understatement. I love Chicago. I’m near my family. I love the city and its personality. I love being a part of Mucca. I just don’t feel ready to leave yet. But… my options are very limited here.
I’m researching my options. I’ve got a list of about a dozen schools. Some definitely have full funding, others I’m still trying to figure that out. I’m trying to remind myself it’s just going to be for 2 years. 3 tops. I can always return to Chicago when I’m done.
I never thought it would be this hard. And I’ve got 3 months to figure this out.