Kate recently posted her Happy List based on inspiration from a podcast she was listening to. It’s a simple thing, really… a “go-to list of things that make you (me) happy,” as Kate succinctly put it.
I actually started making a list like this earlier this year — and a few years ago I was writing one positive thing from each day in my journal. In living with depression, it can be hard to remember the small things that bring you joy. After a while, those small things add up. When you shift your focus to those positive things, no matter how big or small, they can make it easier to get through the dark times.
Kate made a list of 50 things, so that’s what I’m going to try for as well!*
- My cats: cuddling with them and how they always know when I need them, even if I don’t
- My nieces and nephew, especially how the twins light up and run full force to greet me
- Getting lost in a fictional world
- That sweet spot of spring weather where it’s warm, but not too hot, and the shade is cool enough you can wear a sweater if you want, but you don’t need it
- Adventures with the cohort, especially involving food and drink
- Twisted Twig’s Air Element room spray! It’s frankincense, vanilla, and sage and is my absolute favorite
- Cuddling on the couch
- Alexa responding when I tell her “thank you”
- Academic challenges and rushes
- Nerding out with my professors
- Late night conversations, that even though you’re tired you’re just not ready to end yet
- Warm brioche
- Other people’s dogs (I love getting visits from Boomer!)
- When you season a dish perfectly
- Seeing my home filled with pieces I’ve inherited from family
- Curling up in bed on a lazy morning
- Netflix binges
- Spending time with my siblings
- Anthropology – I’ve found my home!
- Long walks on trails
- When the music just matches that moment in your life perfectly
- Hot showers
- Trying new restaurants
- Champagne Toast candles from Bath & Bodyworks
- Car “shopping” with my brother
- Cats on instagram
- When I remember to hygge
- The ability to drink caffeine again without feeling like I’m dying (hello, Dr Pepper)
- Back massages
- Almost all things lime or watermelon
*Ok. So I made it to 30 rather than 50. That just means 31-50 (or beyond) will be in another post. Giving me plenty of time to think of, remember, or discover things to add to my list!
What makes it on to your Happy List?