Big news, big choices. How a spur of the moment decision might actually turn into a major change.

Ok. So. If you follow me on twitter, you might have noticed a couple of vague tweets over the past couple of weeks. Stuff about big decisions, and, um, mountains.

Let’s go back a bit first… It all sort of started on a lark…

I’ve had the idea to leave Chicago for a while now. Not because I hate it or anything, it’s just some inner sense of longing and such. So, as part of this desire, I sometimes get on PadMapper and scope out apartments in various parts of the country. A lot of it is to see how the cost of living differs — if I could even afford to move there. Most of it’s all just daydreaming stuff. Lots of What ifs that will lead to no where.

But then this happened…

Somehow through my random searches, I found this nice little log cabin out in Montana– 1 bedroom, 2 stories, a wood burning stove, with spectacular mountain views. And, the kicker, the rent was less than my tiny study here in Chicago. That cabin, and subsequently a few others that I found, created a sort of heartbreak for me. And I wasn’t really sure why. I’d never been to Montana. And honestly, I didn’t really know much about Montana other than it was north and it was sort of a popular place for Scandinavian immigrants.

But with that first cabin… something struck me… I needed to check out Montana.

I’m in the market for a job anyway, and I’ve been open to the idea of applying out of state. So, why not Montana? I mean, what harm could it do to just put out a couple feelers and just check it out?

I have the most experience with academic administration. And really, it’s a field I actually really enjoy as well. So, I started looking into various schools and universities.

But then I found something else… And this happened…


Yes. You’re reading that right. I’ve been accepted to Montana State University.

When I found jobs at MSU, I started just checking out their programs. I was bored and curious to see what they offered. And then I started looking into their admission requirements… and noticed they actually talk about post-baccalaureate degrees… And then I decided to check out the application itself. And the next thing I knew I was requesting to have my transcripts from my first BA sent over.

It was just one of those “just go for it and see what happens” moments.

And that’s when I received my acceptance letter.

I’ve been trying to take time to soak this all in and figure everything out. I definitely am excited, and I want to be overjoyed with this decision… But there’s just a lot that would need to happen. I’d need to get a car (which my brother is totally on board for helping). Need to figure out housing, because even though they have student housing for people like me, they don’t allow pets and the cats are definitely coming with me. I also need to figure out tuition, because yeah, that’s a thing. Whether or not I should just go for it now, or look into deferring until next Fall. It’s just… a lot.

That’s my big news. My big choice. I wasn’t really planning on this, but after years of dreaming and letting goals just fade into the background… It feels really good to actually make a step towards something. Like I might actually get another chance; that I might find some direction.